Monday, May 17, 2010

5-20-1941 Marguerite to Mrs Orville J Pace

5-20-1941 Marguerite to Mrs Orville J Pace

Envelope:

Mrs. Orville J. Pace

409 Herbert St.

Cedartown, Ga.

Return:

Box 426

Conroe, Texas

Postmark: 5-20-1941 Conroe, TEXAS

May 20-1941

My dearest Evelyn:

I’m somewhat more settled than when I wrote you that card. It seemed everything happened at once and it took time to straighten out.

Pete is stationed at Brownwood-127 miles west of Ft. Worth. It’s 297 miles from here – I quit work May 5 and left next day to go up there. I drove up alone and had nice trip both ways – I stayed a week and as Pete could get out of camp after 6:00 pm. till next a.m. and was off Sat. p.m. & Sunday, we had a little time together. There are 27,000 men in Camp Bowil and expect 3,000 more soon. You’ll get some idea as to size of the place. I plan to go back June 15th and stay 6 wks or so. They go on manouvers for 2 weeks in June and 6 wks starting 1st part of August so there’s no point in me staying there while he is away. We can’t leave the house & yard for long at a time so I’ll be here some of the time. It is a most unsatisfactory way to live, I assure you. I’m living alone – have 2 cocker spaniels for company – but we do very nicely.

I had a big surprise Mon. I got a wedding announcement from Lucille Belle. She married Thomas Edward Lemen of Arkansas City. They married in Newkirk, Okla. April 27 – He works for Santa Fe bridge & building dept. & they’re living in Arkansas City. In cleaning out my desk drawer, I ran across the enclosed note I got from her Xmas. Seems she was planning to marry someone else then – but you know Lucille Belle. the address on the announcement is same as on this those – so I guess they are living with the Crawfords. Probably a good thing as she couldn’t fry an egg.

I bought a new Singer portable machine – weight 11 # 4 oz. & it is so cute! It really sews, too. I’ve been trying to wear it out with some new dresses – I made 7 in last few months. I got a portable so I could take it when I follow the Army.

Pete will be sent to Carlisle, Penna for 30 days advanced military medical work this fall. Will drive up – so we can enjoy the trip. I’m looking forward to it – anything to break the monotony of living alone.

I attended a cooking school 4 days last week given by the gas co. here & I enjoyed it so much. I got some new receipts which seem good – I’ll try them out on a certain army man I know. I had an offer as a dietician in Army hosp. in Little Rock but declined for 2 reasons – first: too far away from Pete & home and 2nd I’m tired & wanted a rest. I’ve been having symptoms of gastric ulcer added to a spastic colon – so I’m taking it easy.

Grace & Granny want me to come live with them – so do Auntie & Daddy but such is alway unsatisfactory & out of the question. Daddy has a new stone home in Okla. City & I’m anxious to visit for a few days but feel every minute I’m away from home should be spent with Pete.

I content myself with keeping house, and the yard. Really, we’ve a lovely yard. Wish you could see it. It is nicest in Feb. & March when our azaleas and camellias are in bloom.

Pete got his Naval appointment but the Army wouldn’t release him – after all that effort we spent trying to get it. The army gave hime some assurance when he inquired but conditions being more tense now probably was the cause – I was quite disappointed.

The John Durrett in Atlanta isn’t my cousin. However, I’m sure he is a distant relation as they all sprang from the Durretts in Ill. My cousin is working in Okla. City as architect for F.H.A. waiting for draft to get him. Auntie is nearly besise herself (in Ardmore) over the situation. I’m down rite disgusted with her. She is living alone and not working & there’s no reason why she can’t live with me ‘cept it’s too far away from John. She could save all her living expenses – but she’s beyond arguing with – so I let it go –

Ask your Episcopal rector friend if he has met R.L. Sturgis of Decatur, Ala. at any conferences, etc. He is one of our dearest friends and is probably directly responsible for us being Episcopalians. He is rector at St. John’s in Decatur.

You seem to lead quite a busy life and I’m glad you are. You are well suited for such. Wouldn’t it be lovely if we lived in the same town? We’d have such fun together. I’m thinking my back yard with its barbeque pit would be a center of interest.

I’m enjoying your letters so much. How I’d love to see you! Maybe there will come a day –

My best love –

Marguerite

No comments:

Post a Comment